Over 3,000 years ago, Moses wrote this:
Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures … they quickly pass, and we fly away … Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:10-12. NIV
More people are living over 100 today than at any time in history. They are referred to as ‘centenarians’. The United Nations estimates that there are 316,600 alive today who are over 100 years of age. In the United Kingdom, it is estimated that one third of babies born in the year 2013 will live to be over 100.
Research has moved to begin studying the ‘super-centenarians’ - people living to over 110 years of age. On record, we know of 39 people who lived to 115, and 3 are alive today.
So what are some keys to living long enough to blow out 100 candles?
- Establish close family ties and have meaningful social engagement. Being part of a caring community is vtial.
- Eat healthy food. Japan has over 50,000 centenarians, so eat up on sushi and fish!
- Don't some and have limited or no alcohol.
- Exercise regularly and keep active.
- Have a purpose beyond yourself. Spirituality is vital to longevity.
Here's to a long life for you!
- If Life Were a 24 Hour Clock: What Time is it For You?
- Longevity Secrets
- 5 Secrets for Living Over 100
Picture: English centenarian Harold Firth is still chipper on his diet of fish suppers!