In his book The Extreme Future, James Canton shares the top trends that he believes will reshape the world in the next 20 years. Canton is a renowned global futurist, social scientist, keynote presenter, author, and visionary business adviser. He is also the CEO and Chairman of the Institute for Global Futures, a think tank founded in 1990. He has been forecasting trends for over thirty years.
Here is a brief outline of his top 10 trends:
- Fueling the future - energy will play a critical role in every aspect of our lives in the future, especially energy alternatives such as hydrogen.
- The innovation economy - emerging technologies include Nano, Bio, IT, and Neuro.
- The next workforce - more multi-cultural and more female.
- Longevity medicine - will new medical breakthroughs lead to longer and healthier lives?
- Weird science - where will science take us next?
- Securing the future - threats to our freedom include criminals, terrorists, and mind control.
- Globalisation: cultures in collision - more global trade and competition; the rise of China and India; the clash of cultures and values; and the ideological battle for the future.
- Future of global change - the environment is changing, including global warming, pollution, and threats to health.
- Future of the individual - how will individuals navigate personal threats from technology, governments, and ideologies in the struggle for human rights, liberty, and freedom?
- The future of America and China - the destiny of these two nations will have a big affect on the future.
No doubt, there is a lot of uncertainty and even fear about the future today. Life is getting more and more complex. New thinking and new ideas are needed to find solutions for many of the world's current and future challenges.
As followers of Christ, we want to be like the people of Issacher, who had understanding of the times so they knew what they should do and how they should respond (see 1 Chronicles 12:32).
The prophet Isaiah was given an interesting picture of the future during his generation ...
"Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all to see. For the glory of the Lord rises to shine on you. Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth, but the glory of the Lord rises and appears over you. All nations will come to your light; mighty kings will come to see your radiance." Isaiah 60:1-3. NLT
Whatever our future may be, may we continue to be God's light in the world and a channel for his love to reach out to all people.