"But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." [2 Cor 11:2-3. NKJV]
How easily life becomes complex in our fast-paced and ever-expanding world. Complexity usually leads to stress and overload. Peace and an inner sense of well-being quickly disappear. Life becomes a bit like a rat race or a never-ending treadmill. Sometimes you just want to get off. We feel exhausted.
Some times we need to clear the clutter and SIMPLIFY our life. Maybe its time to do more ... with less.
Here are a few things that you might want to do to SIMPLIFY your life this year:
- Slow down a little.
- Re-evaluate your priorities. There is always more to do than you have time for. This problem won't go away. Re-negotiate your 'agreements' - with others and yourself. Maybe it's time to do less.
- Say a nice 'no' a bit more often.
- Spend more time with God. Talk to him. Read his Word.
- Spend more time with people. Be more hospitable. Write some encouragement cards.
- Clear the clutter - get rid of unnecessary 'stuff'. Have a big clean up. Start with your garage and move through the whole house (including your wardrobe). Anything you haven't used for six months, maybe you don't really need it anyway. Give it away (to friends or your local Op shop) or throw it away, if its junk.
- Practice contentment (Phil.4:11. 1 Tim.6:8). Life is not made up of the abundance of things we own (Luke 12:15). Resist advertising that seeks to make you dissatisfied with what you have now.
- Consider 'down-sizing'. Are you under a huge weight of debt? Maybe you'd be better off with 'less' and yet with greater joy and peace in your heart.
- Don't overwork. Keep the 'Sabbath' principle. Rest. Recreate. Relax. Laugh. Enjoy life.
- Look after yourself. Sleep well. Take a walk. Eat healthy food.
"... the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." [Micah 6:8. NLT]