Another dimension of Mission is Values.
Values answer the question, “Who?” Who are you? What is important to you? What are you building on and what do you hope to outlast you?
Jesus had specific values that he was building His kingdom on and he made them very clear to everyone. “You have heard it said that … but I say to you … (Matthew 5:21-22, etc).” In others words, “This is the way I want things done around here.” This is how I want my house and my kingdom to function.
Organizations, including churches, are encouraged to articulate their own core values.
I think there is a benefit in articulating personal core values also.
Here are my Personal Core Values:
- Intimacy - Knowing God personally is my #1 priority.
- Family - Those closest to me deserve my primary care and attention.
- Integrity - My life is my message.
- Love - Life and ministry are all about people.
- Vision - I will passionately pursue God's cause on the earth.
- Faith - God can be trusted to keep his promises.
- Courage - I will conquer fear and live life boldly.
- Excellence - I will be and do the very best I can for God's glory.
- Anointing - I will live and minister by the Spirit's power.
Take some time today to think about what matters most to you. What do you value? Who are you? What is important to you? Write out a list of everything you can think of, then condense it down to 5, 7, 10, or 12 core values. We'll continue our discussion tomorrow.