A few reflections from Proverbs 3:
1. Remember the words of wisdom taught to you. Don’t forget them. Store them in your heart and live them out. As a result, you’ll have a long and satisfying life. Things such as loyalty and kindness are essential. Write them deep within your heart and wear them so everyone can see them. If you do this, you will find favour with God and people, and you’ll gain a good reputation (vs.1-4).
2. Do you want to renew your health and vitality? Trust in the Lord with all your heart and don’t rely on your own understanding. Seek to do his will in everything you do. He will direct your paths. Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear God and turn from evil (vs.5-8).
3. Give God the best part of everything. God will bless us with the very best in return (vs.9-10).
4. Getting wisdom (seeing life from God’s perspective) is the most important thing in life – other than intimacy with God, which is the source of all true wisdom. Once you have wisdom – you have everything you need. Wealth comes along, yet more than that – life, honour, guidance, joy and genuine satisfaction. Wisdom is like a ‘tree of life’ to those who embrace her. Happy are those who hold her tightly and don’t let her go. Think about it – by wisdom the Lord founded the earth and established the heavens. Wisdom is the one requirement for creating or building anything (vs.13-18).
Wisdom is all – encompassing. It includes good planning and insight. These things bring you life, honour and respect. They keep you safe and free from fear. God is your security and he will keep you safe from the traps of the enemy.
5. God offers his friendship to the godly (vs.32). Think about it. The God of heaven, the creator of the universe, offers you the opportunity and the privilege of being his friend. He wants to take you into his confidence and share his secrets with you.
6. As we walk uprightly before God, his blessing is on our homes and we are free from the curse (vs.33).
7. As we keep humble, God shows his favour to us. He does not mock us (vs.34).
8. As we become wise, we will inherit honour and we will not be put to shame (vs.35).
Wisdom for life ...